Request a Brochure

Gaming & Technology

Degree Programs

Game Art & Design student at the Art Institute of Dallas

Game Art & Design

You can learn how to take games from concept to market-ready—and turn your skills and passion for gaming as you prepare for a career as a key player and virtual storyteller.

  • Deepa Ganguly

    Deepa Ganguly

    Fashion Design

    "No matter what career you pursue, respect is key to success."

    Read More

    Deepa Ganguly

    Was there a defining moment when you knew you were destined to become a creative professional?

    As a child, I designed my own clothes. Eventually my mom's friends started to pay for my designs. I earned a scholarship to the premiere fashion design institute in India— but I had a science scholarship too, and my parents wanted me to get a degree in microbiology. It took a lot of effort to convince my parents [to allow me to attend design school]! I have no doubt that teaching fashion was my destiny.

    How do you weave your professional background into the classroom experience?

    I've worked in the fashion industry in a creative capacity, as well as in manufacturing, and I've owned and operated an evening and bridal wear shop. I've seen the fashion industry change along with technology. Fabrics have become more interesting and design has become more practical. I make sure to keep my students current with the industry, stressing that innovation is the key to success and that opportunities are endless.

    How would you describe your approach to teaching and mentoring?

    I don't believe in just imparting knowledge, but in molding students and their personalities. I hope I inspire them to push themselves beyond their own perceived limits at all times—to not only be knowledgeable, but to be better individuals.

    How does collaboration contribute to students' success—particularly when students from various programs work together?

    Collaboration between students from different programs yields a more complete perspective. Every quarter, we host a fashion show called "Inspire" that showcases student collections. While the garments shown are designed and constructed by Fashion Design students, the graphics are planned by Graphic Design students. Photography students take pictures, video students take care of the music and videos, and so forth. Working together, combining all their talents, they make the event a success.

    What's the most important thing you impart to students to help them succeed in class and the real world?

    No matter what career you pursue, respect is key to success. We must respect ourselves, our work, our ambition, and our dreams. Respect brings hard work, dedication and perseverance, as well as kindness, acceptance, fairness, and people skills.

    Anything else you'd like to share?

    Our Fashion Design department is a family. The entire industry is a family. We work together toward a mutual goal, and I'm extremely fortunate to be part of this family.

    Read More...

  • Kellie Wallace

    Kellie Wallace

    Interior Design

    "Be able to tell the client not just what you did, but why and how."

    Read More

    Kellie Wallace

    Was there a defining moment when you knew you were destined to become a creative professional?

    I'd always been creative...always rearranging my room, choosing paint colors or wall coverings. In college, I'd sampled a few non-creative fields, like biology and accounting, but hadn't settled on a major yet. My father worked at the same university and suggested interior design. I had no idea that was even a career option. But when I got into it, I realized I could not only use my creative side, but also explore the technical aspects of the built environment.

    How do you weave your professional background into the classroom experience?

    I always try to give examples of things I've experienced that I think students can learn from—whether it's a mistake I once made, or just an observation about what happens in the real world.

    What class assignment exemplifies your approach to teaching and mentoring?

    I try to make every course I teach very hands-on. I use class assignments to show students how they can apply the material we've covered. To me, students do best when they're presented with a variety of learning methods—auditory, kinesthetic, and visual. I also encourage their progress through praise for work well done.

    How does collaboration contribute to students' success—particularly when students from various programs work together?

    Collaboration is essential to professional growth. Recently, students in one of my classes had the opportunity to work not only with Graphic Design students, but with students from a school in Troyes, France. The project was time-consuming and the time difference between Dallas and France was challenging. But the students learned a lot by working with different programs and cultures.

    What's the most important thing you impart to students to help them succeed in class and the real world?

    In Interior Design, it's important to use both sides of the brain. It's a creative profession, but students also need to tap into the logical side to deal with things like building codes and specification writing.

    What's the most critical advice you would offer any student embarking on a creative career?

    Use critical thinking and problem solving in everything you do. Be able to tell the client not just what you did, but why and how.

    Anything else you'd like to share?

    I love when a student has that "light bulb" moment where they can apply what they've learned.

    Read More...

  • Vicky Ardaya

    Vicky Ardaya

    Culinary Arts

    "Being part of The Art Institute of Dallas family has allowed me to grow as a professional and an educator."

    Read More

    Vicky Ardaya

    Was there a defining moment when you knew you were destined to become a creative professional?

    When I became a Culinary instructor, teaching diverse students from different countries, I was able to combine two careers and to grow both as a culinary professional and as an educator.

    How do you weave your professional background into the classroom experience?

    Having worked in many different countries, I'm able to share with students not just my professional experience, but insights about diverse people and cultures.

    What class assignment exemplifies your approach to teaching and mentoring?

    More than any one single assignment, I'd say that my students know me as an instructor who's always there for them, always ready to mentor them if they need me. My views on education have evolved a great deal. I try to infuse all of my experiences, ideas, values, and perspectives into everything I teach.

    How does collaboration contribute to students' success?

    I believe that two essential components for success are teamwork and good communication.

    What's the most important thing you impart to students to help them succeed in class and the real world?

    Set your goals for the short and long term, and revise them as you accomplish them.

    What's the most critical advice you would offer any student embarking on a creative career?

    Be realistic and optimistic, believe in yourself, and have faith.

    Anything else you'd like to share?

    Being part of the Ai family has allowed me to grow as a professional and an educator.

    Read More...

Latest Happenings